The revised National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF 2021) and National Model Design Code (NMDC) set out the importance of design codes and their expected use to help deliver high quality, successful and sustainable developments. The preparation and use of design codes is new for many local authorities and private sector planners/designers and there remains uncertainty about the process. What are design codes meant to achieve? What is the process to create a code? This Masterclass session brings together experts in practice to explore the NMDC, the design coding process and examples of successful codes. It will include a combination of presentations, Q&A and interactive sessions for attendees to gain hands-on experience in design coding.
- Understand what a design code is and its role in creating successful places
- Understand the process of developing a design code in line with the NMDC guidance
- Recognise a best practice design coding case study
- Experience a hands-on process of de-coding and coding for design characteristics
Online Learning events are designed for public and private sector practitioners with limited or some knowledge and experience of the topic, and those who would like to refresh or build on their existing knowledge.
The Online Learning event will include:
- live guest speaker presentations and Q&A
- a live interactive workshop with activities and discussions
- a members only resource library of ‘watch again’ content, presentations, key takeaways and further reading
David Rudlin, Principal, Urbed
Clare San-Martin, Consultant, JTP
Charles Campion, Partner, JTP
Ross O’Ceallaigh, Programme Manager, Design South East
Date: Tuesday 2nd November 2021
Time: 09:30 – 1pm (Delegates can login from 09:15)
Format: Interactive online via Zoom
This series of learning events is exclusive to members of Design Surrey.
Places are limited and bookings must be made through each Design Surrey Key Contact.
Please note: Currently all events are being delivered online due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation.
Surrey local authority members: Please ensure all bookings are made through your key contact or representative who will be able to book places at this event on your behalf. If you do not know who that is, please email: email@example.com and we will let you know.
To book, please email the central Design Surrey email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Name of delegate(s)
- Role/Job title
- Email address of delegate(s)
- Confirmation the delegate(s) can access Zoom through a work or personal device