Drawing on the characteristics of well-designed places as outlined in the National Design Guide (NDG), this Masterclass will explore how Officers can evaluate the design quality of schemes using the NDG as a tool. Following an introduction to the 10 characteristics and 3 overarching principles Officers will use the NDG to evaluate a scheme and discuss how the NDG can be used to raise design quality in Surrey.
Delegates can expect to:
- Understand how to use the NDG as a tool to evaluate the design quality of applications in order to make confident and competent decisions
- Use the 10 characteristics and 3 overarching principles to evaluate a scheme and inform language used to discuss design quality in a Surrey context
- Recognise the benefits and drawbacks of using a fixed set of criteria
Dr Gillian Horn, Architect and Researcher
Kieran Toms, Design Advisor, Design South East
Laura Lewis-Davies, Learning Manager, Design South East
The Masterclass will include:
- a live interactive workshop with activities and discussions
- a live guest speaker presentation and Q&A
- a resource library of ‘watch again’ content, presentations, key takeaways and further reading
- Date: Monday 27 January 2021
- Time: 9.30am-1pm
- Location: Online – via Zoom
This series of online learning events is exclusive to members of Design Surrey.
Places are limited and bookings must be made through each Design Surrey Key Contact.
Please note: Initially all events will be delivered online due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.