How can Surrey’s traditional local town centres accommodate growth and intensification whilst maintaining their historic character and identity and reviving their economic vitality? This masterclass will explore the main issues in relation to the changing needs of retail and commerce; the creation of vibrant town centres for diverse communities and the delivery of higher-density housing to create thriving neighbourhoods.
Delegates can expect to:
- Understand the key considerations and principles for sensitive town centre regeneration and revival, including social, economic and environmental issues.
- Apply learning through the analysis of case studies developing a framework for discussion
- Explore the characteristics which differentiate town centres within Surrey
Masterclasses are designed for Officers with limited or some knowledge and experience of the topic, and those who would like to refresh or build on their existing knowledge.
Liz Gibney, Partner, Lee Evans Partnership
Robert Sakula, Founding Partner, Ash Sakula
Peter Dijkhuis, Lead Urban Designer, HS2 Ltd
Paul Hanegraaf, Creative Navigator, Milligan
Andy Jeffrey, Town Clerk, Godalming Town Council
Daniel Ashe, Senior Planning Policy Officer, Woking Borough Council
Louise Waters, Principal Planning Officer, Runnymede Borough Council
Helen Goodwin, Head of Programmes, Design South East
Laura Lewis-Davies, Learning Manager, Design South East
The Masterclass will include:
- a live interactive workshop with activities and discussions
- live guest speaker presentations and Q&A
- a resource library of ‘watch again’ content, presentations, key takeaways and further reading
- Date: Friday 26 March 2021
- Time: 9.30am-1pm
- Location: Online – via Zoom
This series of online learning events is exclusive to members of Design Surrey.
Places are limited and bookings must be made through each Design Surrey Key Contact.
Please note: Initially all events will be delivered online due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.