Drawing on the characteristics of well-designed places, as outlined in the recently published National Design Guide, this series of learning events will explore how we evaluate the design quality of major applications from the macro to the micro, focusing on 3 key areas:
- Landscape and green infrastructure
- Layout, streets and parking
- Architecture, materials and detailing
Each of the topics will include:
- A live one-hour introductory webinar
- Electronic resources and suggested further reading
- A follow up live one-hour online discussion
Councillor CPD 3: Architecture, materials and detailing
In part 1 of this online Councillor CPD learning event we heard from Dr Gillian Horn about the key characteristics in the National Design Guide pertaining to architecture, materials and detailing for major applications.
PART 2 – Councillor CPD 3: Architecture, materials and detailing
In part 2 we will use a case study development to explore how to evaluate the design quality of major applications in relation to architecture, materials and detailing.
Using the National Design Guide as a tool, we will discuss how to examine the design quality of major applications in relation to the following characteristics:
- Built form – a coherent pattern of development for people and communities
- Homes and buildings – functional, healthy and sustainable
- Resources – efficient and resilient places and buildings
Dr Gillian Horn, Architect and Researcher
Jade Huang, Architect and Design Advisor, Design South East
Laura Lewis-Davies, Learning Manager, Design South East
- Date: Tuesday 08 December 2020 – bring your own mince pies!
- Time: 6pm-7pm (login from 5:55pm for a 6pm start)
- Location: Online – We will be using Zoom as the online conferencing platform
This series of online learning events is available to Kent-based Councillors only.
Places are limited and bookings will be taken on a first come first served basis. Once the webinar is full any additional names will be added to the waiting list.
If you attend Part 1 of the programme you will automatically be booked onto Part 2.
If you miss Part 1 but would like to book onto Part 2, please RSVP to the central Kent Design email address firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:
- Your name
- Your Kent local authority
- Confirmation that you can access Zoom through a work or personal device
You will be sent the first webinar to watch again, as well as login details to access the resources.
The full Kent Design 20/21 programme can be found here: Kent Design 20/21 programme
Please note: Initially all events will be delivered online due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.