Delivering innovative development which is environmentally- and community-friendly, and blends built form with landscape to achieve exemplar design quality, is a challenge. In this study tour we explore the delivery of a volume housing scheme, and the importance of the local authority and applicant team setting the bar high to achieve their collective ambition through the design and planning process.
Delegates can expect to:
- Gain an insight into the roles and responsibilities of the client and design team, including the objectives of the developer
- Consider the scheme in terms of the overarching themes within the National Design Guide:
- Climate: The complexities of delivering housing sustainably
- Character: The interpretation of context to develop a contemporary design solution
- Community: Urban design strategies to champion community and pedestrian-friendly places
The Study Tour is designed for any Officers who would like to explore the development in further detail.
Kieran Toms, Design Advisor, Design South East
Helen Goodwin, Head of Programmes, Design South East
Chris Bath, Partner, BPTW
Caroline Dommett, Architect, BPTW
Mark Fisk, Director of Landscape Architecture, LUC
Dave Harris, Head of Planning and Regeneration, Medway Council
Tim Morrissey, Associate Development Director, Countryside Properties Plc
The Study Tour will include:
- a tour of the development
- live guest speaker presentations and Q&A
Q&A / discussions and lessons learned
- an online resource library
- Date: 23 September 2021
- Time: 10am-1.30pm
- Location: Rochester
This series of learning events is exclusive to members of Design Surrey (year 1).
Places are limited and bookings must be made through each Design Surrey Key Contact.
Please note: Initially all events were delivered online due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis. As lockdown restrictions ease we will be able to host this event on-site.