Design Surgery and Design Review recommendations supported the development of an award-winning extension to a traditional Surrey village on a brownfield site.
A brownfield site washed over by green belt was formerly in use as a garden centre. The eastern part of the site was allocated for 20 dwellings in Runnymede’s SHLAA. Design South East appraised a scheme occupying the eastern part of the site in a design surgery, recommending release of adjacent green belt land to improve the development potential. An enlarged extension was reviewed at a full design review meeting and at a follow-up review. Meaningful engagement gained buy-in from the local community. RBC’s Planning Committee unanimously resolved to grant planning permission in December 2019. The scheme won a ‘Project Award’ at the Housing Design Awards 2020.
- Site Location: former Pantiles Garden Centre, Lyne, Runnymede
- Architect: John Pardey Architects
- Landscape Architect: Spacehub Landscape Design
- Developer: Goldcrest Land PLC
- Local Authority: Runnymede Borough Council
- Schedule of Accommodation: 60 dwellings
- Tenure Mix: 50% Affordable, 50% Private
- Site Size: 3.9 hectares
Image © John Pardey Architects