The National Design Guide highlights the importance of context to achieving well-designed places with a strong local identity. This masterclass will explore award-winning case studies which have drawn on the language of existing places to inform character and identity, creating new developments which are of their place yet contemporary. We will apply this learning to the context of traditional Surrey villages.
Delegates can expect to:
- Understand how to appraise the quality of character and identity within applications to ensure new developments avoid the blandness and anonymity of typical volume housing schemes
- Apply learning to appraise a poor-quality scheme for a village extension, developing a framework for discussion
- Propose how a scheme could better respond to Surrey character and identity
Masterclasses are designed for Officers with limited or some knowledge and experience of the topic, and those who would like to refresh or build on their existing knowledge.
Laura Lewis-Davies, Learning Manager, Design South East
The Masterclass will include:
- a live interactive workshop with activities and discussions
- a live guest speaker presentation and Q&A
- a resource library of ‘watch again’ content, presentations, key takeaways and further reading
- Date: Thursday 25 February 2021
- Time: 9.30am-1pm
- Location: Online – via Zoom
This series of online learning events is exclusive to members of Design Surrey.
Places are limited and bookings must be made through each Design Surrey Key Contact.
Please note: Initially all events will be delivered online due to the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.